In order to ensure that we have an appropriate process in place which addresses the needs of all our members, SANIRE has launched the new online electronic practical examination registration portal via our website. This will cater for both the registration of the Strata Control Officer (SCO) practical exams. The intent of the system is to ensure that SANIRE can administer the registration process to make sure that any potential irregularities are ruled out in the future. All the practical exams will be coordinated at central venues to cater for the needs of all candidates within their branch areas.
Hosting of a SCO Practical Exam
- The SCO practical exams will be coordinated and hosted per SANIRE branch thus catering for their members
- Rock Engineers and mines are not permitted to host exams without the involvement of the SANIRE branch and relative exams committee
- SANRIE branches may co-host SCO practical examinations if required (especially to cater for various commodities / mining methods that may exist within a SANIRE branch’s region)
- Approved costs of the practical examination may be claimed for by the SANIRE Branch Chairman from SANIRE Council
- Exams will be held twice annually
- The registration process and fees payable will be managed by SANIRE’s Education Fund
- R500 for SANIRE member or associate member and R1200 for non-SANIRE member
- The R1200.00 non-member rate will receive a one-year SANIRE associate membership for free. Should the candidate fail the examination, the following examination would be R500 as part of the free membership. Should the candidate fail a second time, then he/she will need to pay the R1200 and the cycle continues.
- Complete the online registration here
- Candidates are to ensure that they attach all relevant documentation (CV, certificates/qualifications, proof of passing the Strata Control Theory Examination and proof of payment)
- All documents must be in the required format (Files allowed: .doc, .docx, .pdf, .ppt, .pptx, .xls, .xlsx, .jpg up to 30MB)
- Banking details are on the registration page
- Candidates are to ensure that all details are entered correctly and that the correct region / branch is selected
- There are compulsory fields to complete when registering. If any of the fields are not completed (or proof attached), the registration will be unsuccessful.
- Candidates will be notified of registration within seventy two (72) working hours
- If candidates do not receive a registration acceptance, then the registration has not been successful
- Applications must be completed with all relevant documentation and within the given timeframe to be completed successfully
- The SANIRE Council Secretary will keep an updated list of registrations for each Branch of which will be made electronically available for each Branch Chairman
- The SANIRE Council Secretary will distribute the candidate list to the Regional Branch Chairman by the next working day following registration closing
- Candidates will receive further communication by the Branch regarding the SCO Practical Examination arrangements. Should candidates not receive any communication, they are advised to contact the Branch Chairman immediately
- Successfully register for the examination on time
- Keep in contact with the branch regarding the examination
- Be well prepared for the examination
- Do not be late for the examination. Candidates who are late without a valid reason or who miss the underground trip will not be allowed to attempt the examination; will forfeit their examination and only be able to attempt the following practical examination
- Candidates will be required to bring along a laptop (with charger), camera, distomat / tape, clinoruler / compass, all required PPE, scale ruler; general stationary and any other daily underground equipment which might be required for the exam
- Make suitable observations and records of observations for use during the examination
- Keep up with the group underground and not lag behind or get lost
- Working safely during the examination
- Any concerns with regards to the examination must be brought forward to the Branch Chairman within 2 working days of the examination
- To attempt a maximum of 2 times per year and only one attempt per 6 months (preferably pass 1st time!)
- Do not cheat or copy other’s work that is not yours. The purpose of the exam is to test the candidates’ competency. Any dishonesty or plagiarism will result in failure of the examination and suspension of up to 2 years from future examinations.
- The Branch Chairman will call for the examination prior to the date of the exam
- The Branch Chairman is responsible to add the event to the website
- Members of the branch must assist the Chairman with a suitable venue for the examination
- Prior to the examination, the Branch Chairman must appoint an Exams Committee who will be responsible to set the examination. The Exams Committee must comprise people with suitable experience for the mining method and be holders of the COM Rock Mechanics Certificate or COM Advanced Rock Mechanics Certificate.
- The Exams Committee may utilise the Youth Development Representative of the Branch to assist with SCO Practical arrangements
- The exams committee sets the exam in accordance with the syllabus
- The exam is to be moderated by all members of the exams committee to check relevance and level
- The strata control practical examination must consist of an underground trip and plan reading, but will also test candidates report writing skills, computer literacy and the ability of a candidate to interpret and use basic data. The exam must comprise a written report, plan reading, observation and general practical question sections.
- The majority of the examination must take place on a formal template which will be marked by the examiner appointed by the Branch Chairman and Branch Exams Committee. The remaining portion of the exam will comprise an oral question and answer section of which will be marked by a group of examiners (minimum of 2 examiners)
- Candidates must not be examined by examiners of the same company or where a conflict of interest may exist.
- The written portion of the examination is to be marked by an appointed examiner of the exams committee and then moderated by an external examiner that is external to the setting of the examination
- Any concerns raised by examiners or candidates are to be reviewed by the Chairman to ensure fairness
- The Branch Chairman is to report back to SANIRE Council Education Portfolio Holder of any concerns and outcomes thereof
SCO Practical Examination Requirements
Entry requirements to the SCO Practical examination will require candidates to have passed the Strata Control Theory examination.
This will continue to be the requirement until such time the additional requirements have been appropriately workshopped by the various commodity / mining method task teams of which will develop a SCO development matrix that is to be signed off by the proposing rock engineer / candidates mentor.